Bushfires!

Fire is one element that shapes the Australian environment to make it unique compared to other environments around the world. It can also have a devastating effect on communities, and is something that needs to be understood and managed.

A starting point for our project was gaining an understanding of what fire is and the elements that contribute to a fire burning. A fire needs three elements to burn effectively:

We then investigated the geographical processes that occur that occur to contribute to a Bushfire. A geographical process is a process that humans and physical forces combine to shape a particular environment. An example of this would be houses that are built very close to a forest.

The task was then to research about a bushfire that occurred in the Australian environment. The students needed to investigate the following questions:

The students created a presentation in Google Slides. Here are some great examples of the student's work:

Upon reflection, the students produced high-quality work and showed how much they had learned about researching and referencing for a project. Each student reflected upon what they had learned by answering a number of questions:

What was your understanding of Bushfires and fire before you studied this topic?

My understanding of bushfires was that a fire can/could be caused by a heat wave or done deliberately.

What problems did you encounter while you were working on this project? How did you solve them?

A problem I had was that I had to put the information in my own words, I solved the problem by asking a friend to help me change the sentence

What process did you go through to produce this piece?

I first started by researching about my bushfire. I then moved on to set up my google slides. Then I put all of my information on the google slides after I finished I then turned it into google classroom

How do you feel about this project? What parts of it do you particularly like? Dislike? Why? What did/do you enjoy about this project or work

I feel that I learnt a lot about bushfires about them, how they start and spread. I liked how that I now know the harm a bushfire can have on the community

What did you enjoy the most about this project? What else would you like to learn? 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Burnt Stick- A Personal Response

Stories can help us see, the experiences and emotions of other people. Using stories to empathise with another person's life can be a powerful way to change the views that we might hold about other people. It puts us into their shoes, and see another person's life through their eyes.

The Burnt Stick is a book written with that intention. The story is about an aboriginal boy called John Jagamarra who was taken from his family when he was 5 years old. He was taken by the Welfare man to live with the Fathers at Pearl Bay Mission for Aboriginal Children, to learn the ways of the white man.

The students in Stage 3 have been learning about how to write a personal response to a story. Personal responses come in many forms but always need to have a summary of the story and a personal response or opinion about it.

The criteria for our personal response is:

The starting point for the writing was to brainstorm ideas about the feelings and thoughts about the story. What would it like to …

"My Country" Poetry Writing

Words can have an impact when we use them in ways that create images and evoke emotions. Poetry is a way of writing that allows someone to communicate these images and emotions in a deeply personal way. They require creativity and thought about a subject, often using a limited amount of words to so.
Dorothea Mackellar is an Australian poet, who uses imagery in her poetry to great effect. They portray her love of her country by creating images of colour and ruggedness through a rich use of descriptive words. The most famous of her poems is called "My country", which the students then compared to another poem of hers called "Colours of the Light".

After completing the lessons on imagery from these poems, we came up with a definition and looked at the words that can evoke the 5 senses. 
To start the process of using imagery in our own writing, we brainstormed ideas for poems. This helps the process of pre-writing. Getting ideas written down assists the students' …

Positive and Negative Space

Stare at the white dot for 10 seconds, then look at Van Gogh's Starry Night below. pic.twitter.com/t4PVHbnK2v — Google Facts (@GoogleFacts) August 5, 2017

When creating a picture or artwork, positive and negative space both need to be considered. What is the positive and negative space?
Look closely at the following picture:

It shows the space between the faces takes on a shape. This is negative, while the faces themselves are positive shapes.
What do you see in the following pictures?

In your Art diary complete the following: 
Draw an example design of positive and negative Art then explain Positive and Negative Art. 

Positive and Negative Artworks.  To understand Positive and Negative Art better we will be creating an Artwork like the examples below: 

This artwork also uses the concepts of translation, rotation and reflection which you have been exploring in Mathematics.

Can you see how these are used in the shapes above?Which shapes have been reflected? What do you notice happens…